ORIGINAL WORK ONLY
All entries submitted to the Maine Film Initiative (MFI) Screen Writing Competition must be original works by the applicant.
Submissions must be made on-line. All submissions are final, and MFI does not issue refunds. Each submission will be sent a confirmation email once payment is processed.
The author’s name should NOT appear on the title page or anywhere on the script, to preserve anonymity and fairness.
Feature Scripts: 40 – 130 pages
Short Scripts: 1 – 40 pages
Teleplay (30 minute pilot): 1 – 30 pages
Teleplay (60 minute pilot): 31- 60 pages
MFI considers all entries to be complete. No revisions of submitted material will be considered.
Scripts also must not have been sold or currently be under option prior to June 2017.
MFI employees, including seasonal staff, board members, sponsors, and their immediate families, are not eligible to submit in any category.
Scripts will be judged numerically on 6 different criteria, as outlined above. Awards, selections, and decisions of MFI are final.
Semi-finalists and finalists will be notified by June. Winners will be announced in July 2018. Pre-production of the winning script will begin Fall 2018.
If a screenplay has more than one author, it is up to the authors to decide how many authors to list on the application and who will be the primary contact e-mail. Awards are given per entry, not per author. MFI does not assume responsibility for arrangements with regard to awards.
All entrants are encouraged to register their screenplays with the Writers’ Guild of America, East or West: www.wgaeast.org/script_registration, or www.wga.org/registration/index.html, and with the U.S. Copyright Office.
BY SUBMITTING MY SCREENPLAY TO MFI, I:
1. Recognize that MFI, its representatives and files are replete with ideas and stories for theatrical motion pictures and television programs and that new ideas for motion pictures and television programs are constantly being submitted to MFI. I also recognize that many stories and ideas are similar and often different stories and ideas are related to one or more common underlying themes.
2. I agree to indemnify MFI and its representatives, including its judges and readers, against any and all claims, expenses, losses or liabilities that may be asserted against MFI and its representatives at any time in connection with said Material, or any use thereof, including without limitation those arising from any breach of the warranties and promises given by me herein.
3. I hereby release and discharge MFI and its representatives, including judges and readers, from any and all claims and demands and will not assert, maintain, or assist any party in asserting or maintaining any claims or demands against MFI arising out of, or in connection with the Materials, including without limitation, any and all claims for libel, rights of publicity, theft, or misappropriation of ideas or trade secrets or infringement of copyright or other intellectual property rights.
4. I warrant I am the sole owner and author of the Material submitted.
6. MFI shall not be under any obligation to me with respect to the submitted material except as may later be set forth in a fully executed written agreement between us.
7. I understand that prize money is dependent on the number of submissions, and that lesser or fewer prizes may be awarded than stipulated above if the number of submissions does not exceed 100.
8. I have retained a copy of the Material and agree that MFI shall not be obligated to return the Material to me.
9. I acknowledge that MFI is under no obligation to use the Material in any manner. I warrant it is original to me and that I am the author and owner of the Material.
RULES AND DISCLAIMERS
© 2015 - MFI ALL RIGHTS RESERVED